Prudential’s new ad celebrates the ‘rocks’ in our lives and moving forward, together
The new year is often a catalyst for setting goals and making life changes — whether it’s a career switch, moving to a new state, or a lifestyle change. Almost two years into the pandemic, three-quarters of Americans are considering making a significant change in their lives, according to a recent Prudential Financial survey.* For people who expressed a desire to hit reset, nearly 9 in 10 face at least one barrier to taking a big leap, including lack of money (35%), discomfort with uncertainty (22%), fear of the unknown (21%), and lack of confidence (21%).
Among those considering a major shift, 63% say that support from friends and family would help them move forward to make the change. Help is often found through the “rocks” in people’s lives, who encourage them to take that leap, root for them when they face their fears, and give them confidence to achieve their dreams.
“During these challenging times, it’s difficult to stick to a resolution, start something new or overcome an obstacle. That’s why we need a rock, a strong foundation of support — whether a friend, loved one or mentor — to empower us to do great things, big and small,” says Susan Somersille Johnson, Prudential’s chief marketing officer.
Prudential’s new television commercial, “Rock Moments,” celebrates this spirit: the small yet pivotal moments when the strength and reassurance of the “rocks” in people’s lives help them become unstoppable. It’s the same way generations of customers have trusted Prudential to help them create a more secure financial future.
“Our new ad is about optimism and forward momentum as we look to the future with confidence, especially when we have a ‘rock’ to rely on,” adds Somersille Johnson.
The commercial is part of the “Who’s Your Rock” branding campaign, which brought back the company’s iconic Rock symbol for the first time in a decade, and celebrates the people we rely on for strength, resilience and limitless support.
Starting Dec. 17, the spot will air nationally on select networks, as well as in major markets across the U.S. including New York, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, Seattle, Charlotte, Kansas City, and Hartford, Connecticut.
• 57% of Americans have made a change in their lives in the past 18 months, with 30% of Americans stating they started to lead a healthier lifestyle.
• 75% of American adults are considering a future change, with 38% of Americans stating they want to lead a healthier lifestyle, and about 1 in 5 wanting to make a career change or live somewhere else.
• 86% of American adults cite having at least one barrier to making a change.
• Lack of money (35%) is the top barrier to change, as well as various psychological barriers — discomfort with uncertainty (22%), fear of the unknown (21%), lack of confidence (21%).
• Among those considering making a change, 63% say family, a significant other, or a friend would help them move forward to make the change.
*The survey was conducted on YouGov Direct; 1,200 U.S. adults 18+ were surveyed on Nov. 16, 2021, between 2:49 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Eastern time. Data is weighted on age, gender, education level, political affiliation and ethnicity to be nationally representative of adults 18+ in the United States. The margin of error is approximately 2.8% for the overall sample.