MILITARY-THEMED PLAYER WARMUP JERSEY AUCTION PROCEEDS & 50/50 FUNDS RAISED AT THE GAME TO SUPPORT PAWS OF WAR & GI GO FUND
PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL AND THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS CELEBRATE THE DEDICATION OF CURRENT AND FORMER MEMBERS OF THE UNITED STATES MILITARY
NEWARK, N.J. (November 11, 2022) – Prudential Financial, the New Jersey Devils and Prudential Center will honor the nation’s current and former military service members during the team’s 12th annual Military Appreciation Night presented by Prudential on Saturday, November 12, 2022, when the Devils host the Arizona Coyotes at 7 p.m. The Devils will provide over 200 active duty servicemembers from Fort Dixon Joint Base, National Guard, Sea Girt and Earle Naval Station with tickets as an appreciation of their continued service and dedication, who will be recognized during the first period of the game. Doors will open at 6 p.m. ET prior to the game.
Devils players will wear military inspired warm-up jerseys before the game, which will be auctioned online through November 19th, with net proceeds benefitting Paws of War and GI Go Fund. Paws of War’s mission is to train and place shelter and support dogs to serve and provide independence to our U.S. Military Veterans that suffer from the emotional and physical effects of war. In turn, each Veteran can experience the therapeutic and unconditional love only a companion animal can bring. Between November 9 through November 25, fans may enter the Devils Camo Jersey Sweepstakes, presented by Prudential, for a chance to win a military-themed jersey signed by the full Devils roster. To enter the sweepstakes, visit newjerseydevils.com/militaryappreciation. To place a bid on one of the military-inspired warm-up jerseys, visit newjerseydevils.com/military. Learn more about Paws of War at pawsofwar.org.
Media may CLICK HERE to download images of the Devils Military Appreciation Night-inspired warm-up jerseys and more.
Leading up to the night, the Devils collected video submissions from fans through Greenfly, where fans were able to express their gratitude for military groups. Select video submissions will be featured on Devils social media platforms throughout the game. To view video submissions, click here. Additional content surrounding the night will include dedicated videos of the two non-profit organizations, GI Go Fund and Paws of War, and Prudential representative, Rob Barea, VP, Head of Culture, Diversity & Engagement, talking about the impact these programs and nights like Military Appreciation Night make for veterans. Prudential Financial representative Charlene Petrozelli, Vice President, Distribution Program Management, Group Insurance, will also join the Devils Hockey Network presented by RWJBarnabas Health on-air during the first intermission to talk about the importance of the night. Petrozelli has been with Prudential in various business and compliance roles since joining the company in 1998. Beginning her career in their individual retail businesses, she is currently the Vice President, Distribution Program Management, Group Insurance. She is a disabled veteran of the Army National Guard and the Co-Lead for the VETNET Business Resource Group. In addition, she is actively involved in the Inclusion & Diversity Council, and previously with the LCBE Talent Council, Recognition Council, Mentoring and Reverse Mentoring Committee.
Throughout the night, the Devils and Prudential will pay tribute to the armed forces through a variety of activations, including:
- Camo Hat Giveaway and Customization: The first 9,000 fans in attendance will receive a Devils Camouflage-themed hat, courtesy of Prudential Financial. In addition, Prudential is providing fans with the opportunity to have their hat customized with their initials at stations located on the main concourse which will open at 6:00 PM and run through the beginning of the 3rd period.
- Letters of Gratitude: Fans will have the opportunity to stop by the Prudential Financial activation space on the main concourse behind Section 19 to pen a personal postcard to troops overseas, which will be facilitated through Operation Gratitude.
- 50/50 Benefitting GI Go Fund: Funds raised through the Devils Youth Foundation 50/50 will benefit the GI Go Fund, a nonprofit charitable organization that assists military veterans and their family members, along with first responders, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated individuals and all people in need with finding employment, entrepreneurship, connecting to their benefits, and accessing housing opportunities. There will be GI Go Fund representatives at the game, who will be recognized during the first period, first timeout. Learn more about the GI Go Fund here.
- The 63rd Army Band, Tracer Rounds, Performances: The 63rd Army Band, Tracer Rounds, will provide entertainment on the main concourse prior to the game and during the 1st intermission.
- Honor Guard: During the United States National Anthem, the New York City Joint Service Color Guard will represent all branches of the military on the ice.
- National Anthem: The United States National Anthem will be sung by MSGT Mary Kay Messenger of the West Point Band.
- Light Up The Rock: New Jersey Warriors Hockey Team members will participate in the Light Up The Rock pre-game ceremony. For more information on the Warriors, a non-profit program dedicated to providing support to disabled veterans, visit https://njwarriors.org.
- Ceremonial Puck Drop: Paws of War Veteran Recipient, Dawn Amato, U.S. Army Veteran. Served 12/28/1981 for over 21 years as a Heavy Equipment Operator and was deployed during Desert Storm in 1991. Dawn will be dropping the puck with her service dog, Peaches, who was received through and trained with Paws of War. Learn more about Paws of War at pawsofwar.org.
- Heroes Among Us, presented by Prudential Financial: Paws of War Veteran Recipient Sergeant First Class Jason Ragel, who retired on November 14, 2012 after serving the U.S. Army for 12 deployments including service in Southern Watch, Desert Fox, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn and Operation Enduring Freedom, will participate in a pre-game ceremonial puck drop with his Paws of War dog, NAME. Ragel is a Purple Heart Recipient and earned honors including, but not limited to, Non-commissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon, Army Commendation Medal (2 OLC), Joint Service Achievement Medal, Army Achievement Medal (3 OLC), Army Good Conduct Medal, Global War On Terrorism Service Medal, and more. He is a current resident of Lake Hopatcong and continues to work alongside our military as a civilian.
- Custom Dog Tag Table: U.S. Army Exhibit hosted by the North Jersey Recruiting Company will be on the Upper Concourse by the Bud Bar. Five members of the North Jersey Recruiting Company will be activating a table where they will be customizing dog tags and handing out Army gear and lanyards to fans.
- Puck Wall Photo Activation: Fans in attendance will have the opportunity to take a photo in front of a customized Hockey Puck x American Flag puck wall on Prudential Center’s main concourse behind Section 21.
- Devils Den Team Store Discount: In all Devils Den Team Stores at Prudential Center, there will be a 10% discount for active military members and veterans.
"We are a long-time supporter of Military Appreciation Night. It provides another platform for us to raise awareness of the sacrifice of past and current service members,” said Rob Barea, vice president, Culture, Diversity & Engagement at Prudential Financial. “We are honored to partner with the community for this event as we provide support to the military year-round.”
About the New Jersey Devils:
The New Jersey Devils are part of the 32-team National Hockey League, with teams throughout the United States and Canada. Established in 1982, they are celebrating their 40th season in the Garden State. During that time, the team has won three Stanley Cup Championships: 1995, 2000 and 2003. Follow the Devils at NewJerseyDevils.com, on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The New Jersey Devils organization is a Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment property.
About Prudential Financial, Inc.:
Prudential Financial, Inc. (NYSE: PRU), a global financial services leader and premier active global investment manager with more than $1.3 trillion in assets under management as of September 30, 2022, has operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Prudential’s diverse and talented employees help make lives better by creating financial opportunity for more people by expanding access to investing, insurance, and retirement security. Prudential’s iconic Rock symbol has stood for strength, stability, expertise, and innovation for more than a century. For more information, please visit news.prudential.com